Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Week #4- Eureka moment

I have recently enrolled in a SCUBA certification class. My first class started on Monday evening. As we did the pool section of the class, one of my fellow classmates, a girl, stated that the water was a little cold and she was beginning to shiver. Our instructor, an older man in about his 60s, overhearing the girl's complaints, yelled out, "Do I hear complaining?" The girl then stated that she wasn't complaining, just stating that it was cold. Our instructor then went on to say "I hate whining, but if there's one thing I can't stand it's when men whine. It seems these days men whine more than women do.." This is where I saw a great opportunity and decided to take it.. I then asked "Why do you think that is? That more men complain now in days, than they used to?" My instructor went on to mumble something sarcastically about today's "Manly men" who aren't manly at all, but are told by society that it's "okay to cry" so they choose to do it at every possible opportunity. I thought his response was really interesting, and rather funny. I agree with him though. Now that society is accepting males to sometimes have more feminine aspects, such as sensitivity, many men are taking advantage of their ability to do so. I don't feel their is anything wrong with that at all. I just thought it was interesting to hear an older man's thoughts on the subject!

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting. I think its great to hear that men are comfortable to cry. I think that all people weither male or female should be comfortable to let their feelings and emotions out. I am comfortable showing my feelings. Also, as for men whining, we women are allowed to whine so why not men? I mean it's only fair!

    ReplyDelete